Tuesday, July 15, 2008

eLearning Development Conference 2008

Lucky me! At sort of the last minute, I was offered a chance to attend this conference in Salt Lake City over a few days this week. I am currently sitting in a session where we're talking about "Why Wikis Wrule," which is about the widespread use of wikis, as well as some practical tips about different wiki options out there, as well as ideas on how and why to use wikis.

I wanted to share a few tips that I've picked up; partly for the sake of my own memory and partly for the good of sharing with those who are interested.

I've used PBWiki a little bit for school projects; it has worked well in several situations - writing a paper, keeping track of team assignments, and "just playing" around. Debra and Betsy in my cohort at CUDenver have both had success in their wikis, from what I can tell (I will add a link to their wikis later when I have time to look them up).

Our presenter just talked about Tiddlywiki, which looks very interesting and exciting. He uses PMWiki, but acknowledges that it takes a bit more programming knowledge if something needs to be customized.

I'll also post a link to our presenter's wiki once he makes it public - it hasn't made it public yet because he has a few sessions left to present and doesn't want it changed before he has a chance to present the things he needs to address. :-)